Pick of the Collections 22/06/2020
Next we visit College Library with Dr Stephie Coane, who tells us more about a small book which has just returned from loan to the British Museum as part of their blockbuster exhibition Troy: Myth and Reality.
- Manuscript of Patrick Shaw-Stewart’s poem ‘I saw a man this morning’, pencilled on the endpapers of a copy of A Shropshire Lad by A.E. Housman published in 1912. ECL Icc5.2.33
- Cover and slipcase of A.E. Housman, A Shropshire Lad (1912) found on the body of Patrick Shaw-Stewart and containing the manuscript of his poem ‘I saw a man this morning’, given to Eton for the Macnaghten War Memorial Library in 1930. ECL Icc5.2.33
- Frontispiece portrait of Patrick Shaw-Stewart in his friend Ronald Knox’s biography published in 1920, and inscribed by Knox for the Macnaghten War Memorial Library. ECL Nd.1b.36
- Installation photograph of the Eton manuscript of ‘I saw a man this morning’ (left) and Ronald Knox’s biography of Patrick Shaw-Stewart (right) at the British Museum exhibition ‘Troy: Myth and Reality’, November 2019
- Photograph of Patrick Shaw-Stewart at Eton. PA-A.226:628-2015.